GrowTurf are proud to now supply the Bundaberg and surrounding districts with Sir Walter Buffalo.
Sir Walter Buffalo is an ideal lawn suited in most situations and is quite possible Australia's most widely known Buffalo Grass variety.
Sir Walter is a popular choice due to its it's ability to thrive under a wide range of climatic conditions and it's hardiness around both pets and children as well as it's ability to handle up to 70% shade.
What you need to know:
- Shade tolerant - Sir Walter grass performs well in full sun as well as in shaded areas where other grasses may fail. No grass can survive in extreme shade, but Sir Walter will certainly handle the shade better than others. Sir Walter still has active winter growth, so it is less likely to drop out in shaded areas in winter. It is recommended for up to 70% shade in areas with low wear and up to 30% shade in areas with moderate to high wear.
- SOFT - A gloriously soft leafy grass that creates a luxurious feel under foot when maintained correctly. Due to its thick root system and plush like leaf, it can often become and feel like a very safe grass under foot with lots of children around.
- Fast repairing - Sir Walter is an excellent choice when you have high traffic areas as this buffalo breed is a fast growing grass that will self repair where it can. A great choice for those with children, pets or area's that receive a lot of traffic. We find it faster growing than the Palmetto.
- Drought resistant - Like other buffalo's, Sir Walter has a massive deep root system, making it more drought resistant. Sir Walter is an efficient water user and it stays greener for longer in dry conditions. Once established, Sir Walter requires a lot less water than the couch varieties. During the hotter months here in Queensland, we recommend watering at least twice a week to maintain a nice green colour and for the leaves to maintain their thick and healthy appearance.
- Great at outcompeting weeds - Once established, Sir Walter dense growth makes it much harder for weeds to establish. As it still actively grows in most areas in winter, it is less likely to allow weeds to invade.
- Low allergenic - Sir Walter is great news for people with allergies. As a low allergenic grass, Sir Walter is an excellent choice, particularly for those with animals with allergies or those who either themselves or their children develop itchy skin when playing on the lawn.
- Disease and pest tolerant - Sir Walter grass has good tolerance to gray leaf spot and other diseases and is more resistant to pests such as lawn grub. We find Sir Walter to handle the hot humid climate we can often suffer in Bundaberg and surrounding areas better than other buffalo varieties.
- Low Maintenance - Sir Walter is known for being a low maintenance, all round lawn for most conditions.
Sir Walter Buffalo - AVAILABLE NOW!!!
- Mowing - During the cooler months - mow every 3 - 6 weeks (as necessary). Hotter months - mow once a week. Ensure your mower blades are sharp to have a clean cut look. TURF TIP: Did you know you should mow your grass in different directions? By mowing your grass in the same direction each mow, your grass begins to form a pattern and will grow in the direction that you mow. Crazy hey! By mowing in different directions, you prevent ruts forming in your lawn.
- Fertilise - Use a complete fertiliser in early April and early September. If you need a quick 'green up', use a fertiliser that is high in nitrogen to promote a lush green lawn. Avoid the use of fertiliser in the heat of summer. Check out our LawnPride products in the menu above. We also have some excellent Under Turf Starter available for purchase with your turf - this contains a slow release fertiliser that will feed your lawn for up to 3 months along with water saving crystals!
- Watering - Water thoroughly and regularly after your Sir Walter has been laid to encourage a deep root system. Once established, water thoroughly only when needed (when a slight wilting is visible), usually every 7 - 10 days in Summer (twice weekly in very hot, dry weather). Sandy soils will require watering more often. Infrequent, deep watering promotes a healthy lawn. It is best to water in the early morning; night watering is not recommended.
Why choose Sir Walter Buffalo?
A fast repairing, hardy grass that handles high traffic areas - an all round family lawn
Excellent shade tolerance and drought resistance
A low maintenance lawn that has great pest and weed resistence compared to other grass varieties
An Australian breed Buffalo grass that's been bred for Aussie conditions
Low allergenic - perfect for children, pets and those with sensitive skin
Please note that the information contained in this web page is not comprehensive, as climate & soil conditions vary greatly.