Palmetto soft leaf Buffalo is an ideal lawn suited in most situations, including around salt water pools, front and back yards and both sun and shade. Palmetto is a popular choice due to its softer leaf compared to other buffalo grass types and it's ability to thrive under a wide range of climatic conditions.
What you need to know:
- Best winter colour - Palmetto Buffalo grass has outstanding winter colour. Side by side comparisons on many of our growers farms over the last few years have shown that when it gets cold in winter, most other Buffalos don't stay as green as Palmetto. Palmetto, on average, has 75.5% better winter colour than other buffalo grass types in research
- Shade tolerant - Palmetto Buffalo grass performs well in full sun, yet thrives in shaded areas where other grasses fail. A Palmetto Buffalo lawn requires 2 to 4 hours of direct sunlight. No grass can survive in extreme shade, but Palmetto is better than others. Palmetto has the best winter active growth, so it is less likely to drop out in shaded areas in winter. Palmetto is recommended for up to 65% shade in areas with low wear and up to 45% shade in areas with moderate to high wear.
- Less mowing - Unlike some other rapidly upward growing Buffalos, Palmetto Buffalo Grass needs less mowing. Although Palmetto Buffalo Grass grows across the ground at a fast rate, its upward leaf growth is less than most other Buffalo grass varieties. One of the main reasons people buy Buffalo is that it requires less mowing. Ask for a Buffalo grass like Palmetto, one that grows fast across the ground for better wear tolerance, but one that grows more slowly upwards for less mowing. In fact, we believe Palmetto is the only Buffalo grass on the Australian market that does this.
- Drought resistant - Palmetto has a massive deep root system, making it more drought resistant. Palmetto Buffalo Grass is the efficient water user and it stays greener for longer in dry conditions, making it the most likely lawn of all to stay green all year round. Palmetto Buffalo Turf is a winter green and summer green grass.
- Great at outcompeting weeds - Once Palmetto Buffalo grass is well established, its dense growth makes it much harder for weeds to establish. As Palmetto actively grows in most areas in winter, it is less likely to allow weeds to invade. This is the time when many other forms of Buffalo grass develop weed problems.
- Low allergenic - Palmetto Buffalo turf is great news for people with allergies. Seed heads on grass can cause allergies, so it is good to know that Palmetto has less seed head. In a full year trial at Richmond, Palmetto had an average of 40% less seed head than other popular Buffalo varieties
- Less thatch - Palmetto Buffalo Grass is known for its ability to create a dense sward without major thatch problems. Just walk on a mature Palmetto buffalo lawn and notice the difference compared to a common soft leaf Buffalo lawn. The common soft leaf Buffalo lawn will be very spongy, whilst in comparison, the Palmetto will be far less thatching. Palmetto Buffalo Grass rarely scalps when being mown, allowing people to almost always have a green lawn.
- Good wear recovery - Recovers quickly from damage or minor scalping as it sends runners to repair exposed areas.
- Disease and pest tolerant - Palmetto Buffalo grass has good tolerance to gray leaf spot and other diseases and is more resistant to pests such as lawn grub
- Mowing - During the cooler months - mow every 3 - 6 weeks (as necessary). Hotter months - mow every 7 - 10 days. Ensure your mower blades are sharp.
- Fertilise - Use a complete fertiliser in early April and early September. If you need a quick 'green up', use a fertiliser that is high in nitrogen to promote a lush green lawn. Avoid the use of fertiliser in the heat of summer.
- Watering - Water thoroughly and regularly after your Palmetto Buffalo has been laid to encourage a deep root system. Once established, water thoroughly only when needed (when a slight wilting is visible), using every 7 - 10 days in Summer. Sandy soils will require watering more often. Infrequent, deep watering promotes a healthy lawn. It is best to water in the early morning; night watering is not recommended.
Why choose Palmetto Buffalo?
Outstanding winter colour compared to other buffalo grass types
Excellent shade tolerance and drought resistent
Less mowing and great at outcompeting weeds
Soft under foot due to it's soft leaf
Low allergenic - perfect for children, pets and those with sensitive skin
Please note that the information contained in this web page is not comprehensive, as climate & soil conditions vary greatly. The Palmetto name and logo are registered trademarks of Ozbreed Pty. Ltd.